Diet and complexion go hand in hand. The healthier the diet, the healthier the body, the healthier the skin. And healthy skin and beauty are hand in hand.
Day 23 : January 23
Get your salad on and eat a little cleaner.
Earlier in this 31-day guide, I told you that hot water and lemon is one of my favourite ways to wake up my skin in the morning. Another way to keep my skin in check and looking bright is eating a cleaner diet.
I’m not going to sit her and tell you to ditch everything humane and enjoyable to eat like pizza and nachos and french fries … but I am going to ask you to have salads more often … or a vegan pizza … or more avocado mash instead of Skippy’s peanut butter on your toast. A plant based diet consisting of more vegetables and fruits is a sure fire way to get your skin going in the right direction for anti-acne, anti-aging, and anti-anything you hate about your skin.
My favourite ways to get a cleaner diet without feeling like I’m sacrificing :
- I make sure at least one meal a day is a healthy salad, (and by healthy salad I do not mean a taco salad – not all salads are equal).
- Everything I drink throughout the day is water, but to keep me sane, I allow myself one iced tea (or other flavoured drink) a day.
- If I want something that’s not so clean … like chicken wings … I’ll make them at home from scratch rather than buying a frozen box of them or eating out at a restaurant.
- I prepare snacks in advance. I always laughed at this piece of advice when I read it in fitness magazines because truth be told, no one needs to prepare a Kit Kat in advance; however, since choosing to eat cleaner including cleaner snacking options, having a small Tupperware of almonds in my purse nixes cravings for anything processed.
- I forgive myself when I fall out of line. This is key. So what if you dug into that bowl of macaroni and cheese you prepared for your children? It’s okay … next meal is a whole new meal.
TIP : Meal prepping is hard to start, I know, because I try to try it out every single week and never do it. However, if you can at least think ahead to the next day and have a loose plan for what you’re going to eat … chances are you will make smarter choices when it comes to your meals.
HOMEWORK : Google recipes for easy to make clean meals. You don’t have to go all Jamie Oliver on it … but get an idea of what some of the key ingredients are and some simple methods for making veggies or clean meals taste decadent.