As we start our new year its time to clean up our lovely makeup bags – yes, I said it! I know you probably dread doing this, partly cause it can be a pain in the you-know-what and also because you simply can’t part with the favourite eyeshadow that’s broken and making a huge mess in your bag.
Allow me give you some tips on how to make this process as easy and painless as possible!
- Begin by dumping everything out and separating the good from the bad. If it’s salvageable set it aside, if it’s not or you have empties throw them out.
- Now assess what you have and ask yourself, “Are there items that are expired?” If you look at the bottom label on most of your cream or liquid products such as foundation, mascara, lipstick etc. you will should see an expiration date. Check it, and if it’s past the date get rid of it!
- Now that you’ve cleared the good from the bad comes the fun part – see what needs to be replenished and restock! Oh, and don’t forget to show your makeup bag some love and give it a good cleaning ;) (or maybe its time for a new one?)
Here is my list of what I think every girl should have in her makeup bag:
- Lip balm. Plain old Chapstick will do the trick!
- 1 or 2 lipsticks. I suggest a neutral (because who doesn’t love a sexy nude lip?) and a brighter colour, especially for these drab winter days. If you’re not a lipstick girl, go for lip gloss.
- Eyeliner. Black or a dark brown, preferably one that has a sponge tip at the end so you can smudge the liner to create a quick smoked out effect.
- 1 eyeshadow quad. If it has a variation of light to dark tones, this will also help you create easy day to night looks.
- A blush/bronzer duo. For this, I recommend one on the high-end like the NARS Orgasm/Laguna compact (my personal favourite). If you can’t splurge, Flower Beauty also makes an awesome blush/bronzer duo and it’s under $15!
What do you currently carry in your makeup bag? I want to know!