Normally when the heat hits record temperatures, we as women forego heavier makeup and switch out deep colours, smokey eyes, and bold lips for dewy bronzy skin with a lip gloss to match. And that looks sexy and all – but sometimes a good smokey eye, is a good smokey eye. The little trick to mastering smokey on a hot summer’s night : change up the blush to change up the feel.
When it comes to a smokey eye, many think its all shades of black, gray, and the darkest brown you can find, but the trick for making it hot for summer, pun totally intended, is to lighten it up a bit.
Here are my 5 tricks for working a summery smokey eye …
1. Go smokey, but don’t fire it up : instead of doing dark and smokey all up and over the lid, gradually fade out the colour, working to a light, shimmery version of your chosen shade just above the crease.
2. Rethink the colour scheme : like I said, people think matte black, gray or dark brown for a smokey eye, but how about soft satin browns or bronzes, heather grays, and shimmery lavenders for a smokey mix?
3. Ditch the overly bronzed skin : while bronzed skin is the uniform for summer, I like to see a fresh dewy complexion with a smokey eye. It keeps the entire look more “the hot girl next door” instead of “the real(ly desperate) housewife you’re trying to run away from”.
4. Skip the gloss : instead of reaching for a sticky gloss, switch out your lip colour for something creamy and light. Think chubby pencil formulas or tinted balms that run a little more opaque in colour than sheer. Keep the colour light and in season too.
5. Go mango : chocolate mangos taste really good; and the colour combination isn’t so bad either. A milk chocolate colour scheme with the eyes paired with mango-hued cheeks signals summer. It’s not as glam barbie as wearing a pink blush, and the touch of mango gives the same glow as your bronzer would have.
There you go : my top five tricks for wearing a smokey eye all summer long. For a product rundown of the look above, keep scrolling. Interested in sharing your tips for a smokey summer eye? Please leave it in the comments section and share with us! We would love to hear from you!
Want to hear and see more beauty bite how-to’s? That’s easy : don’t forget to subscribe to the blog, or better yet, get it straight in your inbox. Sign up for our newsletter by opting in here!
Happy Monday All!
Product Roll Call!
Meet the beautiful Megan F., a transplant from Houston who is a teacher by day and a fitness goddess by night. She competes in fitness shows, personal trains, and looks awesome every time I see her! She was kind enough to lend me her gorgeous hair and face for this beauty bite how-to. Here is how I completed her look :
Foundation : MAC Face+Body in N1 and N3
Concealer : MAC Select Cover-up in NW25
Contour+Highlight : NARS The Multiple in Altai (contour) and Copacabana (highlight)
Blush : MakeupForever HD Cream Blush in 410 and NARS The Multiple in Puerto Vallarta
Eyeshadow : Smashbox Full Exposure and Double Exposure palette
Brows : MAC Eyebrow Pencil in Brunette
Mascara : Maybelline Great Lash
Eyeliner : Bobbi Brown Gel Eye Liner in Black Ink
False Lashes : Ardell singles in Medium
Lips : Bite Beauty Lip crayon in Madiera
Setting Powder : MAC Blot Powder in Medium
She came in with her hair that naturally full and beautiful, but I curled the top half with velcro rollers and left it to set. When we returned to the hair, I curled the bottom half using a Hot Tools 1 1/4 curling iron and then let out the rollers and smoothed the curls to match. I sprayed with Tresemme Perfectly Undone hairspray to hold the curl, and smoothed the ends with Not Your Mother’s Smooth Moves hair creme.