We’ve all been there. Maybe it’s been a stressful week, maybe it’s that time of the month, or maybe it’s just seemingly out of nowhere, but blemishes popping up all over your face unexpectedly is never a good time. I personally had a sudden breakout a few weeks back that had me looking at areas of my face that almost never see a sign of a pimple! Naturally, I reached out to BlushPretty’s resident skincare expert, Naomi Mundy of In The Buff to ask for some preventative tips as well as ways to manage a breakout when it strikes that are useful to keep on hand!
- Nourish the skin from the inside out. Omega 3 & 6 or flax seed oil (if you are vegan) will help to nourish and feed the skin.
- There is no need to treat the whole face if you only have breakout in certain areas. Spot treatments are very effective – look for products with salicylic acid (oily + acne), glycolic acid (oily + acne), lactic acid (dry + acne). Don’t over use these products either! Remember to wear your sunscreen as the acids can make you photosensitive.
- If your skin is oily and you have acne, you may want to check your skin’s hydration level. The lack of water in the skin can lead to an acne breackout. Be sure to use a hydrating serum (look for hylaronic acid) as one of the main ingredients.
- This may be TMI but if you are a bit, ahem, backed up…that can also be a cause for acne. Make sure that you diet consists of a lots of fruit and vegetables; the darker the better.
- Have yourself checked for food allergies; soy, shellfish, sugar, wheat (gluten), dairy can all be potential triggers for acne breakouts. A visit to your doctor or a naturopathic doctor may be in order.
- Make sure that your skincare routine is made for your skin type and that you are not stripping your acid mantel. Above all, you want to be gentle with your skin; you only have one face. See your esthetician for regular facials and to have your skincare routine updated each season.
Here’s hoping my next breakout is a long ways off!
I don’t need to tell you how crazy this past winter was (can I say it’s over yet?). As we slowly but surely make our way into spring and eventually into summer, we should all be doing things like checking for expired makeup products, perhaps updating our beauty bags to include some brighter colours, and above all updating our skincare regimes.
Image: FreeDigitalPhotos.net by imagerymagestic
We turned to one of our in-house skincare experts Naomi Mundy of In The Buff Spa for some tips to keep in mind as we change seasons. Naomi is a seasoned makeup and skincare pro, and offers services such as facials, skin resurfacing treatments and specialty treatments through In The Buff. Check out her lineup of offerings and be sure to follow her on Twitter!
Naomi’s top tips:
- Re-evaluate your skin care routine. A change to warmer weather means it’s time to switch to a lighter moisturizer. Make sure you choose one that is best suited for your skin type.
- When in doubt, seek professional help. Estheticians can help you pick the right products for your skin type and conditions like dehydration.
- Exfoliation is key to healthy glowing skin, especially after this crazy weather we have been experiencing! If using a manual exfoliant, look for ones that do not contain nut shells as these can cause micro tears on the skin. If using chemical exfoliant, look for ones with glycolic or salicylic for oily/acneic skin and lactic acid if you are dry or experiencing dehydration.
- Book in for regular facials with your favorite esthetician. Regular facials will help your skin maintain its healthy appearance and address any concerns you may have like sun damage, or rough and uneven texture and tone.
Last Wednesday, December 4, we threw a celebration in honour of our latest bit of exciting news: our new home on Richmond street. As we continued to grow & expand throughout 2013, the need for our space to do the same grew too. So, we set out to find somewhere that fit our needs and after much searching, here we are!
Now located at 777 Richmond Street West, the bp studio/home is everything we could have wanted and more. Bright, spacious and comfortable, and also home to our fabulous friends at fresh.beautiful, Flirt Custom Lash Studio and In The Buff Spa. More than just a place for hair & makeup trials from our own talented team, it’s also your new go-to destination for lashes, skincare and beyond. Keep an eye out in the coming weeks for news on our workshops both for artists and beauty enthusiasts alike.
We’ll let the pictures do the talking about our launch party, but feel free to drop us a line and stop in for a visit to check the place out for yourself! (more…)